A provision in Thai law permitted individuals to possess as many as two primates or other wild animais of the same species – « a potential pair to promote breeding » – even though their capture and sale was prohibited.
Is it legal to own a monkey in Thailand?
Pig-tailed macaques are protected by law in Thailand, where it’s illegal to own them unless they’re captive-bred. Violators can be fined or sentenced to two years in prison, although such a sentence has never been handed down, Wiek says.
Can you own a monkey legally?
In California, monkeys and other primates can only be possessed by qualified people issued a permit for a specific legal purpose – such as training monkeys to perform in film and television productions or for use in medical research.
Is chewing gum illegal in Thailand?
3) It’s a punishable offence to throw (used) chewing gum on the pavement. I wouldn’t really class this one as silly – unusual, perhaps, but not an out-and-out silly one of the laws in Thailand. Plus, it’s one that’s definitely worth bearing in mind because there’s a pretty hefty fine if you get caught (nearly £400).
What should I avoid in Thailand?
1. Places for backpackers to stay
- Avoid: Khao San Road. …
- Instead: Sukhumvit and Siam Square are popular and convenient alternatives. …
- Avoid: Bargaining a flat rate with a taxi driver. …
- Instead: Insist on using the meter – it’s illegal for taxi drivers to refuse. …
- Avoid: Ping Pong Shows.
Which dogs are banned in Thailand?
Banned breeds in Thailand are:
- American Staffordshire Terrier.
- Pit Bull breeds that include American Pit Bull Terrier, American Bully, American Bulldog and Staffordshire Bull Terrier.
Are pit bulls allowed in Thailand?
Remarks: 1) Pets must be at least 4 months old to be able to import into Thailand. 2) Pit bull Terrier or American Staffordshire Terrier are prohibited for importation into Thailand. 3) As long as pets don’t show any sign of illness, they would not be quarantined.
Do people in Thailand have pets?
Thailand is generally a pet-friendly place but for expat families renting condos or apartments in Bangkok, having a dog is something that must be clear with landlords. As a general rule, condos and apartments will not take dogs of any kind.
Do pet monkeys stink?
In addition to being a pet that has involved care, they are also said to have a smell that is several times stronger than a skunk and can be detected up to 164 feet away in the wild.
How much does a baby monkey cost?
Typical costs: Monkeys cost between $4,000 and $8,000 each, depending on the monkey’s age, rarity and temperament. Younger, more rare and friendlier monkeys tend to cost more.